In our second segment of 'meet the Run DV'ers' today we are meeting Dee.
Hi Dee, firstly can you tell us a little bit more about yourself?
Hi I'm Dee and I'm from Ireland. I started running in 2013 when I signed up for a 5k race and did the couch to 5k programme. After that I ran a few 10k races. In 2014 I was in a car accident and injured my neck and back. I didn't run for over a year. When RunDisney announced the races in Disneyland Paris I was determined to get back into it. Under advice from my physio I started run/walk and I discovered the Galloway method. I realized that this was the way forward for me, especially when it came to training for my longest run ever: the Half Marathon.
I joined Run DV in the beginning and soon afterwards started my 'Magical Miles Monday' weekly post. It helped keep me motivated and I loved seeing my own progress and the determination and progress of the others in the group.
My first Half Marathon was the Rock n Roll Dublin in August 2016. I surprised myself at how much I enjoyed the race and how little I struggled. I ran with a friend at a nice easy pace and we were so happy when we crossed the finish line. The DLP races followed 6 weeks later and the whole weekend was amazing. Running in the parks was a dream come true. I can't begin to describe how much fun it is. Two big highlights for me were running the 5k with my son and crossing the finish line of the Half with some of my friends from Run DV. I can't wait to do it again this year.
I do struggle with motivation from time to time. I go through phases where I am getting up early and running first thing in the morning, and doing my long runs and enjoying them. But I also go through phases where I have no motivation to go out running or do any other exercise. Thankfully I have my friends at Run DV to encourage me and/or kick me up the arse when needed. We are all human, we are not perfect, and we all need a little help every now and then.
If I could give one tip, it would be to trust the training plans. If you do the training, you will be fine in the race. If you miss a day, a week, or a month, it's not the end of the world. Just get back out there as soon as you can and walk, run, crawl or whatever. You'll be glad you did. Every training run helps.
Oh, and drink water. 😊
Thanks! And now we have 32 gruelling questions for you!
1. Number of marathons you have run? 0
2. Where was your first race? Operation Transformation 5k in Phoenix Park, Dublin in 2013.
3. Favorite race course: Anything that goes through a Disney park.
4. Most memorable race: Inaugural Disneyland Paris 5k. Loved every second of it and loads of fantastic moments.
5. PRs? 5k – 29:30; 10k – 1:05; Half Marathon – 2:23.
6. Ever run in a costume? As much as possible!
7. The only running shoes for me: ASICS
8. Ever injured? Lots of aches and pains!
9. Hot or cold weather runner? Hot
10. Morning or evening runs? Morning
11. What is your motivation? Cake
12. Ever DNF? No thankfully
13. Race I'd like to forget: Nothing that stands out.
14. Favorite post race food? Tea, toast and a poached egg.
15. Galloway or Higdon? Jeff all the way 😍
16. Flat course or hills: I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid hills on a route
17. Back, Middle, or Front of the pack? At the back, where all the fun is.
18. Run alone or with a partner: Usually alone. Everyone else is too fast 😂
19. Ever win your age group? I think I have at a quiet day at parkrun
20. Ever finished last in a race? Yes
21. Best part of running: Eating all the extra calories you burn
22. If I didn't run I….would be fatter.
23. I can't run without….gadgets.
23. Ever lose a toenail? Yes, my feet will never be the same. 😭
24. Gatorade or Cytomax? Say what? Water please.
25. Favorite gel flavor? No thanks. I'll stick to food.
26. How many days after a race do you usually start running again? 2/3
27. I run, therefore I…eat cake.
28. Pre-race routines? (night before or morning of) Bagel, banana, water and wee.
29. What is your typical night before the big race meal? Pasta and lots of water
30. Would you run a marathon again? I *might* do it once, but if I do it will be once only.
31. What's the farthest you've ever run at one time? Half Marathon
32. Tucked or untucked? Untucked