Hi, I'm Kizzy 👋 new enough to running and have inherited my role as admin from previous DLP group admin duty with the rest of the crew.
I live in Ireland and travelled over last year with my sister, Elaine for the inaugural 5k. The half was never on the cards for me as I wasn't ready mentally or physically and as it happens I was taken ill 2 weeks before the races so I'm happy I hadn't to deal with the disappointment of not being able to take part. I took it easy for the race weekend and loved the gentle pace of the 5k and the fun and camaraderie of cheering on my sister and the rest of the RunDV half marathon participants. You guys did us proud and are an inspiration. #justkeeprimming
1. Number of half marathons you have run? That is zero! My 1st half is next month at the Rock & Roll in Dublin.
2. Where was your first race? To date I've only done charity 5ks, my favourite being the Pieta House Darkness into Light which starts at 4.15am on the 1st Saturday in May and sees you finish as the sun dawns – it is in remembrance of those we lost through suicide and to raise awareness for mental health and suicide prevention.
3. Favorite race course? DLP's 5K course.
4. Most memorable race? DLP's inaugural 5K. The costumes, the support along the way, the corral pre race giggles and seeing the castle. Unbelievable.
5k in 37 mins 18 sec
10k in 1 hour 19 mins
6. Ever run in a costume? Yes, Cruella for the 5k.
7. The only running shoes for me? I stick with Adidas generally and my duramos have always been kind to me.
8. Ever injured? My knee 2 years ago had me out for 6 weeks and then my gall bladder has knocked me a couple of times since August but it's all under control now and I'm ready to give the half my best effort.
9. Hot or cold weather runner? Cold. I'll dodge hot weather runs at all costs.
10. Morning or evening runs? Morning. I used to be out partying til 6am, now I'm out running. That's adulting right?
11. What is your motivation? Health. To feel better, lose some weight and achieve something I never thought I could. I was that kid in school who never did sports.
12. Ever DNF? Nope but then I've not done enough serious runs for that to be a thing. I've had days I couldn't find my mojo and I've gone home with the resolve to try harder tomorrow.
13. Race I'd like to forget? That fricking muck run my witch of a sister talked me into. Cow shit in my ears, hair, freshly manicured nails… everywhere. Torture, your name is runamuck.
14. Favorite post race food? Normally a banana or strawberries and a bucket of coffee.
15. Galloway or Higdon? I kind of wing it. Walk run seems to work for me though.
16. Flat course or hills? Flat. I have the good luck to live in a town with miles of flat riverside walkways so have the perfect run track on my doorstep.
17. Back, Middle, or Front of the pack? Back.
18. Run alone or with a partner? I like to run short runs alone, its great to clear my head but my son joins me on his bike for long runs and it's lovely to have company.
19. Ever win your age group? I'd not win the oldest age group with my times!
20. Ever finished last in a race? Nope.
21. Best part of running? That happiness when you have a great run and see improvements in times or fitness levels.
22. If I didn't run I____would be still struggling with anxiety, weight gain and the worry of the effect inactivity was having on my life.
23. I can't run without____Music and something to keep my hair out of my face… and more currently: being devoured by insects.
23. Ever lose a toenail? Nope. Can we not talk about feet 🤢
24. Gatorade or Cytomax? Neither.
25. Favorite gel flavor? Melon
26. How many days after a race do you usually start running again? As my experience is with shorter runs, I would say 2 days.
27. I run, therefore I____have a deep love for blister plasters and good socks.
28. Pre-race routines? (night before or morning of) I like to have everything laid out ready to go and get to bed early. I try to skip eating much the morning of because I rather fasted running.
29. What is your typical night before the big race meal? Something non fatty and non spicy to stop my gall bladder having a fit and plenty of water.
30. Would you run a half marathon again? Ask me on August 14th!
31. What's the farthest you've ever run at one time? 13km, baby steps but I'm getting there 😊
32. Tucked or untucked? Untucked!!